The Acratech GXP Ballhead is recognised as a leader in its class.
The Acratech GXP Ball-Head is uniquely designed to function as a Ball Head, a gimbal head, and a levelling panoramic head. It’s like getting 3 pieces of equipment all wrapped up in one beautiful and lightweight unit !
The Gimbal action will have you shooting action like a pro. The Gimbal feature works with any lens (up to 400mm F4.0) that has a tripod collar. The pin in the bottom of the ball and the sleeve on the stem of the ball is what creates a smooth pivot for the Gimbal.
Unscrew the quick release clamp and put it onto the bottom of the head and you are now ready to use the the GXP Ball-Head to create level, single row panoramas. This eliminates the need to carry a separate levelling base in order to create accurate stitched panoramas, as you'll be able to pan parallel to the horizon even when using your tripod on rocky or uneven terrain.
All Acratech Ball-Heads are designed and built to be lightweight for travel photography and rugged for the active outdoor photographer.
The open structure lets moisture, dirt and debris fall through instead of being trapped inside a socket.
New Features of the GXP:
- Innovative form-follows-function design.
- Solidly supports an impressive 50.lbs.
- The GXP only weighs 1.lb bearing a 50:1 load ratio.
- Large, easy to tighten, high torque lock knob is easy to tighten even with heavy winter gloves on.
- New extra fine tension adjustment.
- The unique, panoramic adjustable zero pointer makes it easy to return to your starting point when you are shooting a sequence of images.
- The quick release clamp has deep side notches for more clearance with other manufacturers stop screws.
- The level on the quick release clamp is clearly visible even with your camera attached to the clamp.
- The quick release clamp jaws are more pointed to be more compatible with some manufactures quick release plates with less pointed dovetails.
- The locking lever clamp has a safety zone so the first 25% of the levers motion will not allow your camera to release.
Features of the GXP:
- The patented gimbal feature makes it quick and easy to track follow moving objects with ease.
- With GPX in panoramic mode you can use the ball to level the panning surface and you can do accurate stitched panoramic images without a levelling base.
- Open structure dirt and moisture falls through instead of getting trapped inside like a conventional ball-head.
- Precision CNC machined from aircraft quality aluminium and stainless steel.
- Made in the USA in Acratech’s Pomona, California facility.
- 10 Year warranty.
- Fits all Arca-Swiss compatible quick release plates.
- Fits all standard tripods (1/4-20 and 3/8-16 threads)
- Beautiful satin black anodised finish
- Solid precision feel
- The knobs are secured so they cannot vibrate loose and fall off.
- Oil-less and greaseless ball will not attract or hold dirt and debris.
Great YouTube review of the GXP here by David Akoubian
Excellent Review of the GXP Ballhead here by landscape photographer Jack Lodge
- Max Weight Load: 50lbs (22.6kg)
- Ball Diameter: 1.5” (38mm)
- Tripod Thread: 3/8-16 (includes 1/4-20 reducer bushing)
- Height: 4.2” (106mm)
- Length: 3.62” (92mm)
- Width: 3.17” (81mm)
- Base Diameter: 2.375” (60mm)
- Weight: 1 lbs. (.45kg)